Friday, July 13, 2012

Making Introductions


I’m tempted to avoid writing an introductory post altogether, as they can be so dull, but that’d probably not be appropriate.

I’ve written two already, but I was disappointed with the way they'd turned out, which was boring. I wrote a lot about how I’ve always been passionate about writing, (which is inaccurate; writing and I've had a few rough patches) and how, when I wasn’t convinced that I’d grow up to be a ballerina or a princess, I was certain I'd be an author.

As I angrily scratched out my previous drafts, an idea struck me. What if I were to just post some of my earliest books, the ones I’d written at six years old?

Unfortunately, my mad scramble to find the first book I’d ever written came back fruitless. I did, however, clean my closet in the process. So, that’s a plus. The story had been about a six year old who ran out to the store to pick up ketchup for his/her mother and comically dies beneath the foot of a giant baby. Isn’t that sweet?

So, I'm posting highlights from my second book, also written  at age six. It's entitled, The Funny Monster 2 and tells the great tale of a monster who goes to the zoo. Enjoy.

By the way, there was never a Funny Monster 1. I’m not sure why.


It took me a few minutes to translate this, but I am fairly certain it says, “I will see the lion it got whipped aaawoooahwaoo”


As you can see, I’ve always had wonderful handwriting. Of course, I kid; my handwriting has always been sub-par. I’d like to translate this for you, but I can’t. I think the funny monster is being squished by an elephant. I was, apparently, a very sadistic author.



If I could, I'd tell my six year old self to work on the plot of this story. This is the last page. “Yum Frosting! Hohoho Merry cookie Hey, a Santa cookie” I guess I can be proud that I properly used a comma on this page.




I’m adding this photocopied sheet found in my first grade writing folder as a bonus. Mostly because I love the phrase "sloppy copy" so much.

Kids are funny. Do you have any silly pictures you drew or stories you wrote as a kid? If you e-mail me them to me (skeskey@nmu.edu) I promise to post them here!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha your childhood books are hilarious! I grew up loving to write, though English is my second language, so I started a bit late. I remember one of my first books (middle school) was a scary story and I wanted to describe a girl as pretty. Thanks to my expert use of the thesaurus, I chose the word "erotic." Bright future for a budding writer, don't ya think? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just laughed out loud at this. I'm sure your teachers were real nervous when it came time to explain to you the true meaning of that word! Totally a sign of a bright future. :)

      Delete